Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Technology and Access Issues

I am not sure I believe there is such a thing as students who don't have access to technology outside the classroom. There are public libraries, libraries in schools, and after school tutoring in school with computer access. I do however, see that students who are lazy and avoid spending time in libraries or with tutors to work on computers do exist. That is their choice though.

As a teacher I will technology in the class quite often. My presentations to students will utilize power point, videos, and photographs of reliant material. My students will also be required to write papers and create their own digital works of art and information. If a few students do not have computer access at home I will still use computers in the class and with assignments. There are plenty of opportunities for students to get what they need technologically if they put forth even minimal effort.

I also think that teachers who shy away from technology are doing their students a disservice. Technology is everywhere and as teachers it is our responsibility to prepare student to succeed wherever they go. In order to be successful today and in the future students need to be technologically savvy.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that we as teachers need to not shy away from using new technologies. I also agree that in addition to using it ourselves, we need to require our students to use it for their assignments. If those students are 'lazy' and don't seek opportunities to learn the newest technology by going to libraries and such, maybe they will try to learn at school in order to complete their assignments. I probably wouldn't have learned how to use any technology if I wasn't required to do so in school. My parents didn't use it and I usually needed someone to walk me through it at the beginning (kind of like in our tech. class right now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz!

    I totally agree with you that nowadays you would have to make an effort to NOT find technology. I mean you walk into almost any building and there are computers somewhere. It is way too easy to access computers and other technology and there is absolutely no excuse to not use it. I like that your post was short and sweet and to the point!
    kloveyabye!

    ReplyDelete